Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cinnamon Crunch Granola

So, prior to my Shredded Wheat find, I was running out of cereal, a breakfast staple in our house. I was browsing recipes, trying to find a granola recipe that wasn't filled with honey (not a fan of the taste of it in granola) and fat. Finally, I settled on this recipe for Cinnamon Crunch Granola. Now, I didn't have all of the ingredients, but I had others. I also halved the recipe because it makes a mammoth batch. Here is my adapted recipe (half batch):

Cinnamon Crunch Granola
  • 4 cups instant oats
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (not roasted or salted)
  • 1/8 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup assorted nuts (I used pecans and almonds)
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix together first 6 ingredients.


Cook together brown sugar and water over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.


Increase heat until the mixture boils. Reduce heat again. Cook and stir one minute.


Remove from heat and add oil and vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and stir to coat.



Pour into pan (the original recipe says to use jelly roll pan . . . I don't have one) and cook @ 275 for 60-70 min.

Cool on a cooling rack (in the pan). After 10 min break-up granola into desired texture.

Verdict: It was REALLY good. We ate it plain, but really liked it with fresh fruit, and as a topping for yogurt.

No comments: